From previous posts you know that I am participating in the Flex SEO contest. I got my page pretty high on Google, but it still doesn’t seem to be finding my content. There are still a lot of unknown about this new SEO technology that Adobe, Google and Yahoo worked on and I think that to make a Flex application that load the content dynamically is to go a bit too fast.
So with that in mind I made simpler swf files. I even made some using Flash to see what would get indexed and how. In each of my experiments I have included a unique search expression basically formed from Fleximagically Searchable plus another word. If you search Google with that expression and one of my experiment shows up, it means Google indexed the content. Here are my experiments:
We don’t even know what type of swf is or is not indexed by Google so I sat down down and I made the simplest ones. Since Flex is pretty complex, I made some files using Flash.
The first one is only a static textfield right on the timeline. we know Google used to index those files, let’s see how it does it.
The second one is still in Flash using a prefilled dynamic textfield.
The third one is using a dynamic textfield again filled using ActionScript.
The fourth one is using a static textfield added to the stage using ActionScript.
Since we don’t know if Flex files get indexed at all, I made three simple experiments using basic components: TextArea, Label, Text. In those experiments the content is filled using the text attribute in the MXML file.
Flex file using TextArea.
Flex file using Label.
Flex file using Text.
Now let’s wait for Google to crawl these pages and then we will be able to better understand how this all works.