I was mandated by a friend to optimize a flash website he had done for search engines. I had previously given him advices on how to start and he did follow some of them, but it just wasn’t enough so that’s why he asked me to finish the job.
Alex (the client) is a garage that specializes in tires and other mechanical services. I am writing this post for two reasons, one because I think a concrete example is easier to understand when trying to learn something, two because this actual article and the links it provides to Alex will help its search engine ranking.
Alex‘s situation is special; the major part (90%) of its traffic is coming from direct visits, meaning the visitor write www.alex.ca directly in their browser instead of going trough a search engine. 5% of visitors come from search engines and the last 5% from referring links, mostly other Alex websites.
So my objective was to increase significantly the traffic coming from search engines. To do that task I was assigned very little time so I have to concentrate on the factors that will have the most impact. One of these factors is the title of the pages. As I had instructed my friend, he had already created multiple html entry pages for this flash website. Trouble is that he had given each of them the same title. So I started by creating original title for each pages in relation to the destination inside the flash file.
Lastly for the modifying the website part I cleaned up the html a bit; there was a lot of dead links in the alternative content and that is not really good. All the pages where linking to an expressinstall.html page that didn’t exist. With this done I could go on with the next part of the optimization; creating inbound links.
One of the easiest ways to create inbound links for your website is to Digg it. When you Digg a page, it actually creates an intermediate page from Digg that link to your website. The Digg page for Alex is this one. Since Digg as a really good page rank and it links to your site, this will help your ranking a lot. Another site like that is StumbleUpon. After making these easy inbound links I put the website on local business directories.
The last thing I did was to create a sitemap.xml and put it on Google webmaster tools.
Well that’s about what you can do with 6 hours; I’ll keep you updated with the results of this optimization.