FITC just posted videos of some of the presentations that were done this year (2009) at Toronto. It’s a shame that for some reason they removed the Joshua Davis one because he his a really good presenter. That being said I’d like to drive your attention to the Big Spaceship agency presentation. I don’t know why I missed it when I was there, but I am really happy I got to watch it in video because it really gives insights about how to run a digital shop. When I listen to presentations like this one, I don’t take everything for money, but it help shape my ideas about the topic.
The video is the last one on the right on the first line right under the video player found here: http://www.fitc.ca/media/ (it would be nice to have direct links)
So, in a nutshell, here is what they say:
- They don’t use the word creative to define designers because everybody is creative.
- Don’t hire assholes (very close to the netflix presentation)
- People in team sit together, instead of department sit together
- Great importance to culture and fun at work
- Try to include one person of every department as early as possible in a project
- They avoid using stock images or footages and prefer doing that themselves
- To increase creativity they try to spend some time away from the computer, doing analog things like with their hands (I know, that is crazy)
- They don’t pitch when the client ask for comps
- They don’t pitch when client will choose the lowest costing solution
A very interesting watch. Take whatever you want from it.